🔕 🔔

How can I remove the bottom of a rounded edge can?

All the can openers I've looked at grip the lip of the can. Is there a special can opener made for this?

asked by MF about 1 month ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

added about 1 month ago

So both the top and bottom of the can have rounded edges? What's the product?

MF
added about 1 month ago

It's an animal diet (I work for a Museum). We need to get the food out whole (in the shape of the can so we can cut it into bars) and it's really tight in the can. We've been using a knife to cut holes in the bottom of the can to vent it and help release the pressure however I cut myself badly using that technique and have been told to come up with a new method.

7b014b6c cb04 442d a1c5 8d5402b46fcd  zupreem primate diet

MF
added about 1 month ago

Sorry - I know animal diets are off topic but I figured a bunch of foodies might have a solution to my problem.

Thanks!

added about 1 month ago

That's frustrating, I'm sorry! Would a manual lever-type opener work? (Otherwise, I might try contacting ZuPreem, if you haven't already, to see what they recommend -- others have had to have run into the same issue!)

added about 1 month ago

Kuhn Rikon makes a useful can opener that will remove the top and bottom safely. It grips from the top while you turn a knob to cut the seal. A side attachment pinches and removes the lid intact.

MF
added about 1 month ago

A manual lever type can opener still requires a lip to hold onto, right? I was wondering if anyone has used a side cut can opener -- those cut through the side of the can but I'm not sure how they hold onto it. Maybe they don't need a lip to hold onto?

I could try contacting Zupreem but I'm not sure my question is one that they'd get regularly. We are using their diet unconventionally, for an animal that isn't a primate. Keepers who feed it to primates may not need the food to come out whole.

Thanks!

added about 1 month ago

Au contraire!
Yes, contact Zupreem.
All they can do is raise their eyebrows.
But/and many manufacturers discover new or variant uses of their products from customer feedback.
Give it a shot!

added about 1 month ago

I also suggest looking at side openers, I assume those are the ones that cut the side wall about 1/4 inch or less below the level of the top/bottom. I do wonder though if they need a lip to hold onto.
Not much of a refinement but better than the knife technique-- use an icepick to pierce the bottom and release the pressure from the bottom of the can. The ice pick pierces the can much easier and you are not likely to get the ricocheted effect that you can with a knife.

MF
added about 1 month ago

I've been looking at side openers online but it's difficult to tell if all the different models require a lip to hold onto. I guess I was hoping someone here would have experience with one that would fit the bill!

The ice pick suggestion is a good one but my boss is hoping for something that eliminates the risk factor altogether (we had talked about using a screw driver with a hammer to create vent holes).

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

added about 1 month ago

I have no idea what the texture of this product is like, but could you possibly just scoop out the food, re-form it into a cylinder shape (or whatever shape you need) and go from there? Just a thought!

MF
added about 1 month ago

That's a great thought and I appreciate your input! I've tried it though and it just doesn't hold together as well as when we just cut it into strips. When my strips started to crumble and fall apart I tried adding some water to "glue" it together but it wasn't that successful. Thanks!

added about 1 month ago

How about using a Dremel?
https://www.google.com...

What I love about Dremels are the many many attachments that you can buy, including cutting wheels and mini saws. Like this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm...

I'm not even a Grease Monkey, but I love this tool and it's versatility.

MF
added about 1 month ago

What an interesting suggestion! I love it! I think we have a dremel. I'm not sure if I have that attachment but could certainly get one. Thanks!

MF
added about 1 month ago

Hi Pierino -

I'm not sure how to reply to your post -- it doesn't give me the option to reply under it. I looked up the Kuhn Rikon you suggested and I'm unclear on how it attached to the can. The one YouTube video I watched seemed to show it somehow attaching to the lip? Do you have this can opener? Do you know whether it would work on a can without a lip to attach to?

Thanks!

added about 1 month ago

Hi MF, 2 ways:
1. Dremel and Nail. Dremel alone can be too long and not give clean cut because the Dremel don't have guidance when cutting. I would first use a small nail and hammer to make a dotted holes along the perimeter of the can (it is safer than using knife because the nail grip to the can surface right after it starts dented) like around 1/8" apart or smaller as much as you can. That way the area than needs to be cut by dremel will be smaller.
2. Instead of dremel, you can make firs make a pilot hole with a metal puncher (like https://ae01.alicdn.com...) or (several time) with bigger nail. Afterwards you can use small tin snips to cut the rest of the lid. Tin snips can be bought at Lowes/Home Depot/home improvement stores. Adding the dotted holes liek in #1 also helps too

MF
added about 1 month ago

Thanks Foofaraw (and everyone else too!). I was really just hoping there was a can opener out there that didn't require a lip to latch onto -- a simple solution. I appreciate all the input!

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

added about 1 month ago

Manufacturers have started using these rounded cans and, as a consumer, not a fan. I use an offset spatula and run it around the product and is usually slides out.

MF
added about 1 month ago

That's a good and simple idea BerryBaby - I've tried using a knife but usually end up breaking up the product. I could try an offset spatula. I don't have one here at work but that's an inexpensive simple fix.