🔕 🔔

Lightening Coconut Custard with Whipped Cream

I made coconut custard from Joanne Chang's Flour cookbook. Wondering if I can lighten it with a little whipped cream? Recipe began with 1 14 oz can cocononut milk, 4 egg yolks + 1 egg, and 1/2 cup milk. It is a little sweeter than I'd like and I'd like it more billowy... It's for pie. Thx in advance!

asked 12 days ago

Lisanne - I've done this with other custards and it works. You can also use other whipped dairy - mascarpone, cream cheese, etc. Presume you are just spooning the mixture into the crust and chilling. No more cooking, right? If cooking, I know nothing.
Yours truly, Jon Snow

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Correct, Jon, no more cooking. Thanks very much for your help!

You definitely can lighten it with whipped cream, but it will not be as stable at room temp that way.
Your question has reminded me I need to enter my Coconut Dream Pie recipe into my recipes here...

Well, I tried it and in fact it was too loose and flowy, butI'm thrilled to have finally made piecrust and to have attempted something other than apple or pumpkin pie. It was delicious but not visually perfect. Can't wait to try it again with hopefully better results. Thank you for your help, June.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Another option to consider would be using stiffly beaten egg whites as is done for a crème Chiboust.