🔕 🔔

Thanksgiving cooking challenge - tackle a difficult dish

So much of Thanksgiving advice it about making things easier, less challenging, and more fool-proof. But this year I'll be on my own for the holiday and would love to tackle something really challenging and exciting -something I could never attempt when guests were coming. My first thoughts were cassoulet or paella, but I'm allergic to duck and shellfish. Is there such thing as a turkey souffle? I'd love to hear any suggestions.

asked by Thistledown 4 months ago

No, don't know of turkey souffle, but think this is a great question, and a great way to make a Thanksgiving on your own a special day.
A couple other ways to go at it
1) What, to you, are dishes that stand for feasting and joy? whatever they are, make one or two of them the center of your meal.
2) Pick a dish from a top movie food scene, make that for dinner, take a break to watch the movie. Finish up with dessert or turkey sandwiches (whatever your tradition). Or even Jack Nicolson's chicken sandwich without the toast.
Some favorite movies with food scenes:
a) Big Night - the timpano the brothers make at the end of the movie
b) Babette's Feast - cailles en sarcophage
c) Eat Drink Man Woman - various Chinese dishes from Taipei
d) Tampopo - search for the perfect ramen noodle soup

Or look at these sites for more ideas:
https://www.google.ca/search...

PS. On Jack Nicolson, Five Easy Pieces, I meant, "without the chicken"

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Nancy, I love suggestion number 2! What a fun way to kick back and enjoy cooking on your own.

Cassoulet with a sharply dressed green salad, preferably one with apples and nuts, followed by a showstopper dessert that also makes a great breakfast / snacks the next day, to wit, a Paris-Brest. Cassoulet also provides wonderful leftovers and you can use a turkey leg as one of the meats - perhaps a smoked turkey leg? -- if you want. The cassoulet is a hearty dish, while the Paris-Brest is a not a rich dessert. I made one for Christmas a few years ago using this Cook's Illustrated recipe https://www.cooksillustrated... with Alice Medrich's vanilla rice flour pastry cream: https://food52.com/recipes... One of the best, most-raved about and appreciated desserts I've ever made. ;o)

How about making ramen from scratch? It's not very Thanksgiving, but you could play with flavors and get some turkey in it. I only made it once before, and I probably won't do it again for a long time. But it was worth the effort for the occasion and was absolutely delicious. I used Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats...
The link includes about 4 other recipe links for making other ramen toppings: soy eggs, chashu pork...not an undertaking for the faint of heart, but if you like cooking and want to get fancy it's fun.

I couldn't find all the ingredients - I used other cartilage heavy pork bones like knuckle bones and got broth that was the right consistency. No luck with fresh noodles either, and I had to use dry.

Along this note, I wanted to suggest making beef pho.

Or Hunan honey ham with lotus buns, http://carolynjphillips...

An alternate idea -- maybe there is a group supplying free Thanksgiving dinners that would be happy for an offer from someone with a free oven to roast a turkey for them.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

If you want to make paella you do not need shellfish - you can make it with chicken and rabbit, or all vegetables, or with many combinations. The challenge is mostly having the right pan and a surface to cook it on, some good rice, broth and olive oil. It lends itself to all sorts of variations and makes a dramatic presentation. Have fun whatever you choose to do.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Turducken. It is an idea I am still getting used to, but no doubt it is an ultimate challenge. (I also loved Jeffrey Steingarten's story in "It Must've Been Something I Ate") http://www.seriouseats...