Ideas for using up my kaffir limes?

I have a little potted kaffir lime tree and, wham, the limes just all indicated to me that it was time to harvest by starting to fall off. I've got about 20 of them and am looking for ideas. Not really looking for anything too taxing, and was considering using this (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) curry paste as a jumping off point for something this week. But, as I said, I've got about 20 of the knobbly little things and, other than some spectacular limeade, am not sure what to do with them all!

• Posted by: innoabrd
  • February 28, 2011

Amanda Hesser February 28, 2011

I love this salmon and kaffir lime cakes recipe from Donna Hay's "Flavours" book -- it appeared in the NYT: http://nyti.ms/dMp8Mm

zest in the midwest
zest in the midwest February 28, 2011

My answer wants to go two different ways. You can never go wrong with an infused vodka, rum or gin. Think of the delicious mojito possibilities! Alternatively, and this only works if you looooove canning (I do)....how about a kaffir lime marmalade? I think it would just be glorious if paired with the right scone or muffin, or used as a glaze on grilled fish.

Abra Bennett
Abra Bennett February 28, 2011

And of course the leaves are a staple in Thai cuisine.

susan g February 28, 2011

Kaffir lime curd? Send me some...

Amanda Hesser February 28, 2011

Here's also a recipe for Pichet Ong's kaffir lime meringues with a custard: http://nyti.ms/hS94Ju

innoabrd
innoabrd March 1, 2011

Thanks all for the suggestions. Fish cakes are on the menu for this week, right after I finish modifying aargersi's lamb shanks with artichokes recipe for a whole leg I have in the fridge. I'm hoping a Thai friend will take some of the limes and do something interesting.

I don't generally drink spirits, so the infusions would just sit on a shelf and never get drunk, my recent experiments with lacto-fermented pickles have sapped my canning desires for now, and meringues, well, I've just *never* successfully made meringues and have decided that I just can't make meringues. I mean, shouldn't every cook have something that they simply can't do?

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant March 1, 2011

My boyfriend swears kaffir limes make for a superior gin and tonic; this is how they were served to him when he was in Cambodia.

AnnP
AnnP March 6, 2011

I store my lime leaves in the freezer along with galangal and lemongrass. they keep beautifully for months and I am ready to make Thai food whenever I get the craving.