🔕 🔔

Thanks to a friend, I now have: galangal, thai basil leaves, kafir lime leaves, tamarind, and lemongrass. Friday dinner suggestions?

I also have rice noodles, beef, lamb, shrimp, sweet potatoes, scallions, fish sauce, fresh mint, coconut milk as well as green/red curry pastes and other basics (and not so basics).
Already made this recipe, with great delight!! http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I'm a freestyler, so just simple suggestions as to what works well together is just as helpful as a recipe.
Please send ideas!!

asked by ablebodiedgirl over 6 years ago

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

You could make your own red curry paste, but to me, one thing you can't make unless you have fresh galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves is tom yam, a hot and sour soup. I like to follow She Simmers directions http://www.shesimmers.com...

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

making this up as I go along, here goes: Grind the tamarind, galangal, kaffir lime leaves & lemon grass into a paste using coconut milk, Strain to remove the stringy bits of lemon grass & other woody stuff. Heat some sesame oil in a skillet, toss in sesame seeds to sputter, add sliced scallions julienned ginger & a crushed pod of garlic. Add some red pepper flakes & Soy sauce for the salt content. heat till it comes to a boil after which reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the rice noodles & drain. Add the shrimp (disclaimer I'm vegetarian, but i believe shrimp cooks very fast!.) to the simmering sauce. as soon as it becomes tender, ladle the sauce over the noodles & serve!

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I've used galangal with shrimp and love the combination: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

What time is dinner!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Lucky you! Could try a different interpretation of this salad: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Finely chopped white part of lemongrass would be good in dressing. Tamarind would be good in sauce.

7df84781 fcc6 4364 bc7b 49faca138f40  goat cheese

OMG all those suggestions look fabulous!

I think I'm going to try Anita's suggestion, based on a few reasons.
First, I already have most of the ingredients on hand, and asparagus is in season so will be easy to obtain fresh/local/organic...
Second, I have never had anything like it before, and would love to try something new.
Lastly, our Friday night meal will be the first home-cooked food for a traveling-on-business boyfriend who will be wanting something light and fresh... I think this fits the bill!

Thanks so much everyone :) I'll def come back to try the rest later!!!