Thanks to a friend, I now have: galangal, thai basil leaves, kafir lime leaves, tamarind, and lemongrass. Friday dinner suggestions?

I also have rice noodles, beef, lamb, shrimp, sweet potatoes, scallions, fish sauce, fresh mint, coconut milk as well as green/red curry pastes and other basics (and not so basics).
Already made this recipe, with great delight!! http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I'm a freestyler, so just simple suggestions as to what works well together is just as helpful as a recipe.
Please send ideas!!

asked by ablebodiedgirl over 7 years ago

prettyPeas

You could make your own red curry paste, but to me, one thing you can't make unless you have fresh galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves is tom yam, a hot and sour soup. I like to follow She Simmers directions http://www.shesimmers.com/2009/06/how-to-make-tom-yam-tom-yam-101-part.html

Panfusine

making this up as I go along, here goes: Grind the tamarind, galangal, kaffir lime leaves & lemon grass into a paste using coconut milk, Strain to remove the stringy bits of lemon grass & other woody stuff. Heat some sesame oil in a skillet, toss in sesame seeds to sputter, add sliced scallions julienned ginger & a crushed pod of garlic. Add some red pepper flakes & Soy sauce for the salt content. heat till it comes to a boil after which reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the rice noodles & drain. Add the shrimp (disclaimer I'm vegetarian, but i believe shrimp cooks very fast!.) to the simmering sauce. as soon as it becomes tender, ladle the sauce over the noodles & serve!

Helen's All Night Diner

I've used galangal with shrimp and love the combination: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

What time is dinner!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Lucky you! Could try a different interpretation of this salad: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Finely chopped white part of lemongrass would be good in dressing. Tamarind would be good in sauce.

ablebodiedgirl

OMG all those suggestions look fabulous!

I think I'm going to try Anita's suggestion, based on a few reasons.
First, I already have most of the ingredients on hand, and asparagus is in season so will be easy to obtain fresh/local/organic...
Second, I have never had anything like it before, and would love to try something new.
Lastly, our Friday night meal will be the first home-cooked food for a traveling-on-business boyfriend who will be wanting something light and fresh... I think this fits the bill!

Thanks so much everyone :) I'll def come back to try the rest later!!!