🔕 🔔

Milky Cucumbers

Greetings form the Midwest where we put everything in milk. When I was girl in the 1960's a favorite dish was of sliced cucumbers in whole milk, with a bit of apple cider vinegar, sugar, sliced onions, and I think, pepper. I have tried making it as an adult, but the milk curdles. Someone suggested adding cream, but that changes the dish. Is milk different now? Any suggestions?

asked by Trish about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

@Trish, sounds like the milk is curdling because of the apple cider vinegar. If the milk is old enough, a small amount of vinegar could cause the milk to curdle. Heat will also help the curdling. I looked at some creamed cucumber recipes (basically what this salad is). Most of them have either mayo or Miracle Whip. Since these are also acidic and emulsified, the curdling from milk might not be noticeable.

added about 1 month ago

Hi Halfpint 😊 Thanks for your help, and for taking the time to look into creamed cucumbers. I may have to add additional fat. I did know know that the vinegar was the culprit. It has been a while since I tried making it and now I'm wondering if I may not have used whole milk, or if perhaps, as you mentioned, the milk were dated. I think I'll try the recipe again with fresh whole milk and see what happens. I did make it with kefir last year, but the result was too tangy. The original recipe was all about the sweet milk and the flavors infused into it by the other ingredients. My mom found me, at age two, having climbed onto the dinner table, with the huge serving bowl of cucumbers up to my mouth, drinking the milky brine. 😊 It's that yummy.
Happy New Year to you.

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio
added about 1 month ago

Of course the vinegar is curdling the milk. Most creamy cucumber dishes involve yogurt for the cream. Ask any greek. Salt the cucumbers and rest in a colander to drain off extra liquid.

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

added about 1 month ago

Using buttermilk and omitting the vinegar will still give the dressing a tangy flavor.