🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook corn on the cob?

asked about 7 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I don't know if it's the best way, but my way avoids hot water boiling in the already steamy summer kitchen. Peel back the husk and remove silks, then pull the husks together again. Soak corn in a sink of cold water for 30 minutes or more. Place corn, in husk, on a hot grill and cook/steam for 12 minutes, turning once or twice.

D42432b6 86c1 4c07 91f4 4ef2f918294c  grillcorn

Dc4f378d 9c5f 4bc7 bccc a12dec743a08  pic

I like to rub butter and sea salt on them, they caramelize a little bit better.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Here's a quick and easy way to cook corn on the cob for one or two people. When I don't have the patience or time to wait for the water to boil, I take the whole unpeeled ear, tear off the few flimsy dried-up husk and brown silk pieces poking out, and snap off the stem. Then I rinse the corn in water, and roll it up in a damp paper towel and nuke it for about 1 1/2 minutes (depending on the size of corn and power of your microwave.) When done, carefully peel husk, and wipe away the silk with the damp paper towel. This is a great shortcut for when you're in a hurry and only want to cook 1 or 2 cobs.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop in cleaned cobs and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Take out of water and serve immediately. Tender but still with a little snap!

Gas stoves save time. All the above recommendations are excellent.