Unripe Mandarins

I bought a bag of mandarins that have refused to ripen, even after 2 weeks. Their skin is quite thin but tough and they aren't wonderful to eat. Any suggestions what I can make or do with them?

asked by Michele 9 months ago

I'd be afraid to add them to expensive other ingredients in case their unripeness ruined the dish or drink.
Instead cut them up, mix with some sweetener (for fruit salad) or salt (for savory salad). Cover and leave at room temp overnighter half a day, to see if the seasoning helped.
If yes, proceed.
If not, consider them sunk costs and discard.

Auto incorrect struck again.
should read: "overnight or"

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

you could juice them and use in a salad dressing , sweeten as Nancy suggested.

Slice & Dry them? Would make a good tea. Or at the least potpourri.

Michele

Thanks so much for the great suggestions, I completely went blank with what to do with them. Happy I can get some use from them.

Mirella

Marmalade! If they are sour they will make even better marmalade than if they are sweet.

Michele

Yes, that is a great idea, there are so many I can have a go at that. Thanks!

I had this happen as well and juiced them. Enjoyed it like orange juice!

mstv

I would use recipes that call for calamondins (calamansi) or sour oranges, perhaps adding a bit of lemon juice to make them even a little more sour.