Heart Healthy Celebration

Help! Dad had heart attack last month (doing awesome) but want to make a terrific dinner for him and his awesome wife next month. Looking for heart-healthy ideas ( I cook like Julia...). Thank you in advance. Patty

asked by [email protected] 7 months ago

Is there a food plan he needs to follow?

patty@bryce

Not sure about the plan yet. I'm just assuming the docs will put him on lock down.

You might ask your local heart association or search a bookstore for cookbooks which have recipes tailored to both recovery and maintaining health.
Once you master some basic principles, you can probably adapt your favorite recipes.
For this celebration and ongoing cooking for your Dad.

PS I would recommend title(s), but my favorite is years old and I wonder if there have been changes in recommendations or better recipes published more recently. Ask people who know.

patty@bryce

Great ideas! Thank you!!!

Stephanie G

Does he like salmon? You can't go wrong from a health standpoint with salmon and loads of veggies.

patty@bryce

A nice farm-raised (aka not too fishy) salmon would be something that he would like. Great idea. I hadn't thought about fish because he's in Amarillo, TX (landlocked). But I can get some good stuff ordered and ship it prior. Thank you Stephanie G.

Exbruxelles

I'd do salmon in parchment, which is nearly fool-proof and about as easy it comes. I top it with a preserved lemon and green olive relish--which may or may not work if he's on a salt-restricted diet. Sautéed asparagus or roasted broccoli. A farro salad with roasted butternut squash, pomegranate seeds, Cara Cara oranges and avocado with a light white balsamic (yes, I know) dressing.

patty@bryce

What a great sounding menu. Love the ideas. Thank you so much!

Did you check out the American Heart Association's (AHA) website? They have a food section with recipes broken down by courses.

patty@bryce

I was unaware of their site. I will definitely check it out. Thank you for the idea.