coconut macaroon

i'm a newbie to making coconut macaroons and spazzing. wondering how the egg whites should be handled for best results--i've seen recipes called for doing nothing to them, lightly beating, heating to opaque, and beating to stiff peaks... which to choose? outcomes to expect from each? thank you in advance!

asked by karollu 9 months ago

Lori Terwilliger

Different ways of handling the egg whites will give you a slightly different texture in the finished cookie. In some cases, like when you warm the whites and then beat in the sugar- what you are making is a type of Swiss meringue. Those type tend to bake up puffy, crisp on the outside and rather chewy on the inside. A regular meringue- like when you beat the egg white to soft peak and then beat in the sugar, will give you a puffy and drier result. Honestly, all those different methods will yield different styles of macaroons. There is even a variation based on using sweetened condensed milk, rather than a meringue. The only thing I can say is you should give each a try and decide for yourself which style you like best. My group likes the chewy sort with a Swiss meringue, made with half sweetened/half unsweetened coconut shreds and a bit of coconut liqueur to enhance the flavor. There's no wrong way, only your preferred way to make the cookies you like best.

marianne

I am by no means a baking expert. I have made coconut macaroons at least 50 times, though! When I used to make the most traditional type, I’d beat the egg whites to good stiff medium peaks. But to be totally honest, about 5 years ago I became devoted to Alice Medrich’s new classic recipe from this site and I’ve never looked back. I was skeptical at first. And if you do decide to try this recipe, I totally disagree that they are best eaten the day they are made. In fact, after they have been in the fridge for a day or two, the are pure heaven. Moist, chewy, dense, cold heaven.

I make different versions from stiff whites to slightly beaten. The stiffer the whites give me a mound. The lightly beaten produces a flatter cookie, which we are loving. Beat whites until frothy (2egg whites) with a pinch of salt and 3 T. Granulated sugar. Fold in 1-1/2 C. Coconut. Parchment line baking sheet, drop teaspoon size batter and flatten with fork. Bake 350 degrees 13-15 minutes or until cookies are brown with some white showing. Let cool for 10 minutes.