How to prevent sliced banana from browning?

I would like to slice some bananas in advance of actually using them. Is there something I can do to keep them from turning brown that will not alter the flavor or texture? With avocados, I just run them under cold water.

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

You might be able to pop it in the freezer to use in a smoothie or let slowly defrost later, but to be perfectly honest -- not sure there's a good way to do this. I don't believe juicing a bit of citrus over it would help a banana, though you could give that a whirl...

beyondcelery

I've not found a good way to do this--neither citrus nor yogurt seems to quite do the trick. But I can tell you that a half banana, still in the peel, can be kept from turning brown on its exposed end by spreading a bit of peanut butter or cream cheese over it. It's delicious to bite off later!

sheredel

leon juice..

Panfusine

drizzle with a citrus juice