What's your tradition for your own birthday cake?

My husband and I both love to cook and bake, so we have started using our birthdays as an excuse to make whatever cake we like, picking our flavors, shapes, decorations, etc. We go all out on these: 15 eggs? Sure! A whole pound of butter? It's only once a year!
When I mention this to people, they are usually shocked that I make my own cake. How about you? Do you like to plan and make your own over-the-top creation or have someone make it for you? Do you make the same cake every year or never repeat the same thing twice?

asked by Angela 4 months ago

Angela

Today, I am making myself a version of windbeuteltorte flavored with cinnamon in the cake and whipped cream, based on this one: http://www.gbakes.com/2015...

At my age, making a cake is about the only positive in having a birthday. Chocolate of some sort.

I have made my birthday cake for many years. It use to be chocolate-chocolate. However , my daughter found an incredible recipe for a white cake with Swiis butter cram frosting. In addition to frosting the layers, sliced strawberries and apricot jam are added in between the layers. It is an incredible cake!
Takes a long time to make, but so worth it!🎂 Happy Birthday!🎉

Swiss butter cream!

Angela

That one sounds great!
Thank you.

Scott

My favorite as a kid was an old Depression Era/WWII recipe called "crazy cake". It was the first cake I ever made from scratch (I was one day short of 6 yrs old).

No eggs or butter due to poverty and/or rationing-
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups water

Sift the dry ingredients into a greased and floured cake pan add the liquids to three "wells" in the dry ingredients and stir lightly until mixed. 30-35 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Very dense because the only leavening is the soda- but pretty darn tasty all the same.
And the frosting had better be chocolate also... :o)

Scott

ktr
ktr

We used to make that cake often when I was growing up. It was my families favorite chocolate cake. Like you, I also learned to make it at a very young age, although I was a bit older than 6.

I am not a cake fan, and my birthday is celebrated with a cherry pie and homemade chocolate ice cream. Divine.

I make either Boston Cream Pie or a chocolate roulade with whipped cream. I haven't tried to make German Chocolate cake yet (another favorite). It's something you enjoy, and you get to eat the delicious results. Win-win.

Lost_in_NYC

What a fun tradition to start with your husband! I bet it makes it extra special because one person takes the time and effort to create something special the birthday person would enjoy!

After years of trying to bring together different groups of friends for birthday dinner/drinks, I gave up on that a few years ago and started a new tradition of my own instead. I now plan a trip abroad (around or after my actual birthday) and make sure food is a big part of the trip. Meaning, I'll try to score a reservation at fancy (usually Michelin-starred) restaurant or do some food related activities specific to that country. On these trips, I eat my heart out and dont hold back! This has given me much more memorable experiences than the same-same parties from years past.

Happy Birthday Angela!

Exbruxelles

The tradition in my family is that you get to choose your birthday cake. I'm not generally a big fan of cake, but I love Angel Food and that has been my choice for as long as i can remember.

Shallot

I love making my own cake, since my favorite activity is baking a cake while listening to music. I choose a different one each year. Not generally too over the top, but whatever I most feel like eating. Yellow cake with chocolate buttercream is one of my favorites. This year I'm going to make chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and coffee buttercream. Since I'm a cake snob, I'd have to pay a lot of money to get a good cake, so it's better to make my own!

I don't believe I've ever made my own birthday cake as an adult (or even had one since I was a child) . . . but maybe I will this year. Funny, isn't it. I may have made strawberry sundaes one year. A long, long time ago, my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I made a lattice-crust blackberry pie, with blackberries we picked that morning from the field behind our apartment complex in Charlottesville. I'm not that fond of cake. The closest thing to cake that I really enjoy is a spicy dark gingerbread made with chocolate. It's not exactly a summer dessert, but I think I'll make it anyway - served with a nice, rich homemade vanilla ice cream. So glad you asked. ;o)

Winifred Ryan

I'm sorry to say I've been on a diet for a medical condition for a number of years, so a birthday cake for me has been out of the question since my husband's birthday is too close to mine and he gets to pick. And he always picks whatever he wants, not one of my favorites, so it's just appreciate his for what it's worth.