banned

I have been banned from your website, why?

asked by sybille 5 months ago

former Community Editor

Hi Sybille, I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. I'm guessing you mean that you aren't able to access the site currently? If it's what I think it is, it's just temporary until we fully update Food52's policies to reflect the new European data protection law known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We hope to have all of these changes implemented soon, and will let you know as soon as we do. We value your support; thanks for your patience and we can't wait to have you back!

Did you serve a well done hamburger? This site has had quite a few minor glitches of late and you probably ran into one of them- this question made it in, so you can't be all that banned.

If you are banned, how were you able to post this?
Did you mean from posting recipes?

Miss Karen

I don't live in a European country (I wish!!) but I too have been 'banned.'
It does seem to be #1 temporary (usually the site blocks a user for about a day.) and
#2 VERY RANDOM. It's quite frustrating, since it is is accessing the site- not posting etc.

louisez

I've been getting a message someimes, error 1015, you are being rate limited, the owner of this site has banned you temporarily from accessing this site. I was told it had something to do with times site changes over information. Annoying. I, too, wondered what I'd done wrong. Evidently some glitch on the site. I don't think gdpr is an issue here in Florida. Hope things get straightened out soon.

Interesting- I just got banned while I was on the site. In the interest of science, I went to my trash bin for an old email from Food52, and a link on it brought me back here. By my standards, this counts as cyber wizardry of the first order.

And what now? Came to this site this morning, the features were all about knives. Couple of hours later, they were all home décor, then a few minutes later back to pretty much the usual mix. An algorithm gone mad? Something with my computer? Scientists are baffled.

Yeah, this site is now even more quirky.

On the home page, the tiles have little icons to indicate audience engagement: hearts for "likes" and speech bubbles for comments.

Today the speech bubble icon is a heart which renders the tile iconography confusing.

So strange.

jahn

I, too, have been "banned" periodically over the past two weeks or so. I have received the following message. (I live in a New York City suburb.)

Error 1015Ray ID: 430eadd1f92f926c • 2018-06-26 09:34:35 UTC
You are being rate limited
What happened?
The owner of this website (food52.com) has banned you temporarily from accessing this website.
Cloudflare Ray ID: 430eadd1f92f926c • Your IP: 173.3.108.46 • Performance & security by Cloudflare

MMH
MMH

I have had exactly that 3-4 ties & just got it again on 1 of my devices.

Finally, someone posted an error message that's actually informative.

The Food52 technical team needs to investigate. This is an error message from Cloudflare; they provide various services to website operators. It's possible that Food52 is periodically falling to DDoS attacks, some sort brute force attempt at gaining access to sensitive user data or other mischief.

Anyhow, there's nothing we as users can do.

This is up to Food52's staff to resolve Cloudflare issues.

vickiessig

same problems!

Error 1015 Ray ID: 43192e574a68b9ac • 2018-06-27 16:09:57 UTC
You are being rate limited
What happened?

Anyone else getting weird home pages? Instead of the usual new articles, I keep getting what appear to be some computer's peculiar notion of old articles it thinks I might be interested in.

Yes, I experienced that earlier today. The home page showed a bunch of cobbler (peach and apricot) related items.

This site is getting stranger and stranger.

It looks like the 2-person rule on a production system isn't being enforced here.

Oh well...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The site is doing this *AGAIN* (5:20 pm PDT, Wednesday 27 June).

Now the front page showed me a bunch of cake recipes despite the fact that I have favorited any recipes whatsoever (I wasn't even logged in at the time). I've logged in to post this comment, but it still shows up as "Recommended For You".

Recommended by who? And why? I gave up baking decades ago.

This is getting annoying, perhaps I need a vacation away from this nuttiness.

Yeah, I got the cobbler recipes too; I assumed it was because I had clicked on a cobbler recipe (of sorts) this morning.

former Community Editor

Hi all, we know there has been some wonkiness with the site lately (can we blame last week's strawberry moon?). We're sorry for the inconvenience and are working to get things back to normal, thanks for your patience!