Question regarding a Dutch Baby.

I can't believe that I am new to Dutch Baby's. My kids are in high school!! I have seen some recipes calling for blending the batter. Other recipes specifically state to keep the bladder clumpy indicating that it will be tough if you work it completely smooth. I would love to hear the community's thoughts on the two different camps.
Thanks!

• Posted by: Cathy
  • August 5, 2018

creamtea August 5, 2018

I just mix it in a bowl with my whisk to avoid over-mixing. My mother does it in a blender, but my opinion is, why bother with washing out a blender? Both ways work; the batter doesn't have to be smooth.

cranberry
cranberry August 5, 2018

I always use a blender and then let the batter sit while the oven and pan heat up.

Voted the Best Reply!

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles August 7, 2018

Most Dutch Baby recipes are very forgiving. I use a blender out of habit, but I've no doubt that simply whisking would also be just fine. (The easiest way to clean a blender is to add a about a quarter blender jar of hot water and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid. Run the blender and then rinse well. Nothing could be easier.)

MNLisaB
MNLisaB August 8, 2018

Dutch babies are a house specialty here, I do a lot of savory options. I have never used a blender, just whisk very well and have always had great results.

Sara Branscum
Sara Branscum August 8, 2018

You will get a better rise up the sides of the pan if the batter is in (near) room temperature.