Do you separate your metal and wooden cooking utensils?

I've noticed that some cooks store their wooden and metal cooking utensils in separate upright receptacles on the counter. (I am not sure where the plastic and silicon utensils land in this divide.) Is this a standard practice in working kitchens? Is there a reason other than to keep things organized and looking neat?

asked by iit 20 days ago

cranberry

I don't. I have two containers. One holds the utensils I use most often (and grab while cooking - mostly favorite spatulas and spoons) and the other holds the lesser-used ones (whisks, huge tongs, spaghetti spork, etc.). When I used to have more drawer space, the things in the second container were in a drawer.

I am more into practicality than looks, unless both happen to coincide - which to me is the ideal.

Gammy

Yes I do. I have 2 separate crocks next to the stove, one for metal utensils, the other for all else... plastic, silicone, wood. That way no matter who is cooking, they will know that one set can be used for everything, especially non-stick and ceramic cookware, the others are strictly for metal cookware. No knives or sharps in either. Seldom used or really bulky tools live in a drawer. Works very well for me.

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

I don't—mostly because I don't have the space to do that in my kitchen. I haven't encountered that in any kitchens I've worked in either. Fun idea, though, for organization! Sounds like it looks nice on the counter, too.

Cindy

I have 3! Metal, wood and silicone, and another for the little whisks, spatulas, basting brushes etc. I have an in middle of the kitchen slide in stove and they sit behind it out of the way. I don't have enough drawers to accommodate everything. I like being able to grab without trying to dig for things in an overcrowded drawer:)

No. It's a little too OCD even for me.