A question about a recipe: Slow-Roasted Turkey

5e5f6282 5b91 4f33 94dc 7d68e7affd8a  2014 1111 slow roasted turkey699

I have a question about the recipe "Slow-Roasted Turkey" from Erin McDowell. Is it safe to do the 10 hour slow cooking part on Wednesday, refrigerate over night, then do the 40 minute roast on Thursday? How long should I let it stand out of the refrigerator Thursday prior to doing the final roasting?

asked by Katie 21 days ago

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato

Suzanne is the Editor-in-Chief of Food52.

Hi, Katie! The recipe suggests starting the turkey early in the morning, then finishing the cooking when guests arrive. My guess is that overnight probably would be OK, as long as you bring it to room temperature before that 40-minute blast. (So maybe let it sit out for 60-90 minutes first.) Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!