Help on Erin McDowells citrus cream pie on NYT

I am reading the reviews on what looks like a lovely pie from F52s own Erin mcDowell (https://cooking.nytimes...) but the reviews are compelling that there might be eggs missing in here. Any thoughts?

asked by meganvt01 24 days ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Megan! Erin's recipes are always incredible—so my hunch is that it's just a surprising, eggless technique that many people have yet to try. That amount of flour should be more than enough to set the filling. In my own experience, I've made a pie filling that was "custardy" with heavy cream but included no eggs, just flour; a different recipe, but the closest I've gotten to this technique.