Cooking for diabetic

My cousin has diabetes and her birthday is soon so I want to make her a cake but I need suggestion what to use instead of sugar and what's relation with that and sugar (for example if in cake goes 1 cup of sugar do i put half of cup of stevia or fructose) Also I'd appreciate if you'd share your recipes for cake diabetic friendly :)

Laurie Volkman
Laurie Volkman December 21, 2018

Hi there,

I found some info about using fructose that might be helpful:
"You only need a measuring cup to substitute crystalline fructose for granulated sugar. When substituting fructose for sugar in baked goods that rise, measure two-thirds cup of fructose for every cup of sugar called for in the recipe and make the recipe as usual. When substituting fructose in no-rise baked goods, use two-thirds as much crystalline fructose as sugar as called for by the recipe and set the oven 10 to 15 degrees lower than instructed. The baked goods will stay moister longer with fructose than they do sucrose."

Found here: https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/fructose-sugar-substitute-11406.html
Hope this helps!

ktr
ktr December 21, 2018

Stevia is going to have a cooling effect when you eat the cake. I would recommend trying xylitol instead. Also, you may want to find out how strict she is on her diet because the flour in the cake is going to raise her blood sugar significantly as well. There are quite a few low carb cake recipes online you could try.