German Chocolate Cake - tried and true recipes?

A friend has requested a Greman chocolate cake for his birthday and somehow none of my eleventy billion cookbooks seem to have one. I don't want to just pick one out of a hat - anyone have a favorite they have made, trust, and recommend?

asked by Ginger's Kitchen over 7 years ago

Try this one, but bake it as a cake rather than cupcakes. Alternatively, make cupcakes for your friend! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

monkeymom

This inside-out german chocolate cake is AMAZING. http://www.epicurious.com...

Oh man that inside out one looks over the top - I think that's what I will do - thanks to both of you!!!!

enbe

I made the one from the Baked: New Frontiers in Baking book last weekend and it was delicious. Seems like you found one but I'd be happy to type up the recipe if you're interested (or you can probably find it online).

Burnt Offerings

I've made that inside out recipe from epicurious twice now - it is the BOMB. So amazing!

Okay, I know I'm late to the party, but the German Chocolate Cake that Bobby Flay made for throw down is the bomb-diggity. http://www.bobbyflay.com/recipe.php?id=196

OK now I am going to go look at the other cakes too - thanks a ton! Hmm ... we are having a small crowd for a crawfish boil - 2 cakes maybe?

might I suggest a crawfish cake?

MaryMaryCulinary

I have all the ingredients for this one, but haven't got around to making it yet. i find Leite's recipes pretty reliable, though. Please share with us which one you made!
http://leitesculinaria.com/2974/recipes-german-chocolate-cake.html