🔕 🔔

What type of chocolate do I use for Chocolate Lava Cake?

I am making a gluten Free chocolate lava cake. It calls for 5 oz of melted Dark chocolate. I don't know if I should use bittersweet chips, a dark chocolate bar, such as Giradelli's, Nestle's, Dagoba, or even Hershey's. I don't know which percentage of cocoa, 60 %, 70%, etc. has anyone else ever made one, and with what success. Thank you.

asked by pema21 almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You want to use a dark chocolate in the 60% range. A 70% is very bitter. I'd choose the best chocolate you can afford. Since it's melted, it doesn't matter if it's chips or a bar

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Although you can use chips, they are engineered to resist melting so a bar may save you some frustration. I would avoid the cheap stuff but I wouldn't say "even" Hershey's. Their Special Dark has a complexity that is unique (as far as I know) and would make an excellent choice for the purpose. Choose a brand you enjoy eating straight. Chocolate labels are somewhat ambiguous but 60% is in the right ballpark.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

This is the recipe I use.I used the Giradelli 60 precent bar.
http://sweetdelect.wordpress...
I used individual ramekin and no caramel addition. It also scales very well if you have a gram weight scale.