What's the best brand of sea salt?

asked by Kelsey Banfield about 8 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I second the vote for Maldon. Something about the particular composition of the salt flakes makes them into very thin, hollow, angular pyramids. This gives a huge surface area with comparatively little actual salt. This, in turn, leads to great visual appeal, mouthfeel, and crunch without over-salting your food.

By the way, Maldon also makes a smoked version of their salt. Upon smelling it I purchased it with great excitement... but found the smoke component of the flavor to be so scant that if you didn't know it was there you'd miss it.

mr.ikslopot

Depends on what your looking for.

Alejandro Chocho

Best in flavor, texture, color? Some are crystallized and need a grinder, some flaky, some granular. there's white, grey, black, red. For flavor & finishing, I like both Maldon and sel de guerande, But you might not. A side benefit in popularized sea salts is sampling sets with 4-8 varieties from around the world. If you don't have a favorite or two, work your way through one of these sets, then buy individual packages of the one(d) you like.

drshakyhands

As a finishing salt, Maldon is my favorite.

For regular use in my kitchen to add as an ingredient to recipes, I use RealSalt. It's non-iodized and still contains all the other trace minerals salts normally have - meaning it's not just sodium chloride and iodine. Supposedly healthier? I don't know, but I like the way it tastes and and I like the size of the granules (although it comes in two different sizes).