peppercorns treated with radiation?

I recently bought some white peppercorns from an Asian market. When I looked at the bottle later, I realized there was a green sticker on the back that said treated with radiation. I am wondering if this is a common and safe way to treat peppercorns and other spices. I am not worried about them being radioactive or anything like that but that they are trying to kill really harmful bacteria from sub-standard handling and processing practices. Any advice? Thanks.

asked by linznol over 7 years ago

Ophelia

My understanding is that the USDA required them to be treated to keep agricultural fungi and such from migrating (schezuan peppercorn are treated to destroy citrus canker I think). It may be that white pepper isn't really an issue and it just being treated because it can be.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Whole Foods Market doesn't irradiate any of their spices. Good fresh spices from a reputable source are always a better bet than something that has to be treated to be stored.

While I own common stock in Whole Foods I don't worry about irradiated foods any more than I worry about Whole Foods products cooked in a microwave oven.