🔕 🔔

A huge lemon in my garden what is the English name

9eb4b981 3e59 4b3c 8590 e53cf01dfd8d  2606838040 9c590a42c7 b

A huge lemon in my garden what is the English name In our language we call GANAPATHY NARANGA but this is not pommelo

asked by pauljoseph about 7 years ago

I think it's a citron, though I don't know which one.

nogaga

This is definitely a citron! Its huge, sort of deformed-looking, has a very floral aroma and lots of pith inside. The scent is almost majical. It's caramelized rinds are a real delicacy!

pauljoseph

Yes nogaga we caramelize and use for our Xmas plum puddings

nogaga

That must be absolutely delicious! Lucky people who get your plum pudding!

By the way, inpiried by your beautiful coffee plants, I have started sprouting a few beans :) Can you see the first few sprouts in the picture? I will keep you posted!

pauljoseph

Yes I can see the sprouts nogaga which part of US are you from Is there hot or cold

pauljoseph

nogaga I saw your profile you are from Jerusalem we are coming to Israel may be on November to see the holy land where Jesus crucified may be we can meet there

nogaga

I am in Jerusalem, Israel, and it is pretty mild and warm :)

Have you noticed, by the way, that in the name you use for citron, Ganapathy Naranga, is hidden the Spanish word for orange, "naranja"? Pretty cool, eh?

nogaga

I'd be very happy to meet you in person! Just let me know.

Maybe we can have a little foreigners Food52 party.

Where are you located?

pauljoseph

Oh naranja in malayalam(our language) mean lime or lemon

Panfusine

Its is definitely citron (they call it kdaaranja in Tamil if I'm not mistaken, Pauljoseph, may be you can correct me if I'm wrong)
...there's a similar looking fruit I've seen here in the grocery store, its called an 'uglifruit!, yet to buy & sample one since the specimens there were kinda wilted!

Ugli fruit is a Jamaican tangelo, a hybrid of grapefruit, orange and tangerine. Found it on Wikipedia. It's a trademarked name (www.ugli.com/), and was found growing wild in Jamaica. The ones I've had look like grapefruits inside and are quite sour.

I've had the same experience with uglifruit, susan g. Much more grapefruity. I have enjoyed every slice of this lovely, international thread.