What is a good substitute for celery? Family member has a food allergy to it.

asked by mothoc about 8 years ago

anyone

From a Mira poix point of view, the italians leave it out and just use carrot and onion. But, don't forget trinity. in the creole/Cajun side of things they call their mira poix trinity and intead of using celery they use bell pepper. Just a thought.

Ophelia

Depends on what you're making. If it's being used for flavor I'm not sure there's much you can do about it, maybe a little broad leaf parsley? If it's the texture you might consider cucumber for crunch, or green onion or fennel or chard stems, but all of those will impart different flavors to what you're making, so you'll just have to use your own best judgement when it comes to making a substitution.

betteirene

Water chestnuts, the stems of Swiss chard or broccoli, or kohlrabi. (Do not substitute celeriac or celery seed.)

Jicama is great for texture in salads where you'd otherwise use celery. It's mild flavor is pleasant and won't seem odd.

Beth

I think I would try bokchoi

Susan partington

Maybe Lovage? it is in carrot family, but has celery / parsley smell. If you have trouble finding it, buy a tiny plant and put it in a far corner of the yard, as one plant can get very large.