veggie burger mixture too wet

been experimenting with making veggie burgers from combos of grains and legumes smushed together with a hand blender -- eg quinoa & lentils, emmer & lentils, and they've worked well.. this last mix -- emmer, white bean, portobellos, fakin bakin (a tempeh product), egg -- came out too wet and the burgers are too soft. Any suggestions for firming them up? Used the last of my cooked emmer. Thanks

• Posted by: uws80
  • June 5, 2011

Panfusine
Panfusine June 5, 2011

some bread crumbs perhaps?, or even wet soaked bread with the water squeezed out & crumbled? I'd suggest chick pea flour, but that may have an dominant aroma of its own that may not be compatible with the burger.

boulangere June 5, 2011

Perhaps add some mushrooms for flavor and to absorb some of the moisture.

LornaFarris
LornaFarris June 5, 2011

Ground flax seeds work wonders in situations like this! They are so absorbent that when you add water to a bowl with flax seeds in them - they will end up sort of jelly-like after sitting for a while. Also - they are a wonderful source of Omega-3 fatty acids. And they're gluten-free if you're trying to avoid gluten!

SKK June 5, 2011

Lorna is right on!

uws80
uws80 June 5, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried some whole wheat matzoh meal, in the breadcrumb category, which helped, but I only cooked part of the mix; will try the flaxseeds since that sounds unsual, effective and nutricous.

mcd2
mcd2 June 6, 2011

my brother in law used to add cream of wheat to get a better consistency for refried beans or burgers that were too wet. just a little to thicken the juice. then add more if necessary. or maybe oatmeal or cornmeal...

Anitalectric
Anitalectric June 6, 2011

Don't puree all the mixture. Set aside half of your grain/legume mixture, pulse the rest in food processor to puree, and then fold together. This will give you more structure. You could also try chilling the mixture before forming patties.

uws80
uws80 June 7, 2011

Wow, I never would have thought of cream of wheat (brings back memories of childhood breakfasts. As for the puree tip -- I do think I went overboard with the handblender on these. In the end, I froze what I didn't use; when I thaw and tackle it next I'll add some non-mushy ingredients -- more mushrooms (but chopped, not pureed), whole grains (prob quinoa) and maybe some veg. Thanks!

susan g June 7, 2011

I've used rolled oats, neither thick nor quick; also quinoa flakes -- similar effect, but gluten free, and I bought 5 pounds!

LornaFarris
LornaFarris June 7, 2011

Keep in mind when adding ingredients that certain ingredients can actually release liquids when cooked instead of soaking them up. I believe that this would be the case with mushrooms. Unless you added dried mushrooms.

uws80
uws80 June 7, 2011

OK, I've taken several suggestions and the results were addictive. From Panfusine's suggestion for breadcrumbs I added a bit of matzah meal to get the mix a bit thicker. Still a bit mushy and weak so I took boulangere's advice and added a diced portobello cap in addition to the portobello stems that were already pureed in the mix; also added sliced spring onions. Then, from mcd2's mention of oatmeal I added a bit of toasted steel cut oats (I knew that toasting really brings out the flavor from having made cranaghie -- another story). End result, they held together, had lovely flecks of oats and a bit of chewy crunch, and an underlying earthyness from all the mushrooms. An amazing team effort from a community of people I don't know. Thanks everyone!

uws80
uws80 June 7, 2011

Also want to credit Anitalectric for reminding me that the mix should be part puree part chunky (hence the extra mushrooms and scallions) and susan g for echoing the oatmeal suggestion