My niece recently made for us some fabulous crispy, crunchy cookies that were like a toffee Florentine. A caramel and crushed almond base was cooked on the stove top, then baked like a drop cookie briefly in the oven. They'd be perfect!! I don't know the source of the recipe, so I cannot post it here (due to copyright concerns), but if you send me a message via my profile, I'll be happy to send the recipe to you. What you're making sounds delish, by the way. ;o)

KaffeeAndKuchen

How about some toasted coconut?

How about these: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

babytiger

Maybe some sort of toffee or brittle?

vvvanessa

thick chocolate shavings? some kind of dehydrated fruit like strawberries?

I like the toasted coconut idea...Tres Leches and coconut flan are two of my favorite desserts. I think the flavors would be a match made in heaven.

Preheat you oven to 450. Line a sheet pan with parchment and give it a touch of pan spray. Drop teaspoonfuls of granulated sugar about 3" apart. Spread them out a bit with the back of the spoon. Bake in oven until molten and golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately again use the back of the spoon to quickly pull the edges of your molten blobs into beautiful random shapes. Cheap, easy, fast, and very dramatic. For extra drama, drop some sesame seeds or black sesame seeds or chia seeds (I trust you're getting my drift) into the initial piles of granulated sugar.

Fany Gerson
Fany Gerson

Fany is the author of My Sweet Mexico and Paletas.

how about some candied pumpkin seeds? take equal parts sugar and pumpkin seeds. Make a caramel, add some pumpkin seeds, lower flame and stirr. The mixture will look sandy at first but as you continue to cook it will dissolve again, once all candied, sprinkle salt, stir and put over a lighly greased sheetpan or over a nonstick pad.

Alternitavely, you couls make some french style meringues and crumble