🔕 🔔

How do you make pickles

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

Some people use a warm, spiced vinegar solution but my favourite is a salt-caster sugar mix. Toss sliced veggies (Carrots, cucumbers, peppers, radishes) in a mix of equal parts fine seal salt and caster sugar. I'd advice not mixing the veggies but pickling one sort at a time. Leave to sit for 10 minutes or till some liquid has been extracted from the vegetables, they've softened and the sugar-salt seasoning has penetrated. Feel free to add spices to the pickling mix to add additional flavours. Then rinse off and use. Can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

That's page 1 of 19 pages of pickle recipes on food52. And they all look great!

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

There are many different recipes for pickles. There are several different types. Most are either done in a brine or in a vinager solution. A brined pickle is left to ferment like a sauerkraut. A vinegar based pickle can either be done in a canner, or as a quick pickle that you refridgerate and eat right away. I always refer to my really old Fannie Farmer & Good Housekeeping for some great old fashioned pickle recipes.