How do you make pickles

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 12, 2011

Some people use a warm, spiced vinegar solution but my favourite is a salt-caster sugar mix. Toss sliced veggies (Carrots, cucumbers, peppers, radishes) in a mix of equal parts fine seal salt and caster sugar. I'd advice not mixing the veggies but pickling one sort at a time. Leave to sit for 10 minutes or till some liquid has been extracted from the vegetables, they've softened and the sugar-salt seasoning has penetrated. Feel free to add spices to the pickling mix to add additional flavours. Then rinse off and use. Can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours.

susan g June 13, 2011
That's page 1 of 19 pages of pickle recipes on food52. And they all look great!
Helen's All Night Diner

There are many different recipes for pickles. There are several different types. Most are either done in a brine or in a vinager solution. A brined pickle is left to ferment like a sauerkraut. A vinegar based pickle can either be done in a canner, or as a quick pickle that you refridgerate and eat right away. I always refer to my really old Fannie Farmer & Good Housekeeping for some great old fashioned pickle recipes.