Overripe nectarines

I have 5 overripe (soft but not moldy) nectarines. I'm thinking of ice cream or muffins, but I wondered about whether this is a good idea and I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks.

hardlikearmour June 23, 2011

I think it's a great idea. You could also make them into a smoothie or milkshake if you wanted something even quicker & easier.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby June 23, 2011

You could substitute the nectarines for the tangerines in my tangerine almond tart.

Panfusine
Panfusine June 23, 2011

would make some great granita!

hardlikearmour June 23, 2011

or a nectarine bellini!

Rhoda
Rhoda June 23, 2011

Plenty for a free-form tart if you don't shut your oven down in the hot months. If you have some blueberries in the freezer, even better!

Sam1148 June 23, 2011

I've been using some overripe fruits. (plumbs, apricots, nectarines) to make a soy/ginger/garlic/sake/fruit..marinade for meats. Yakatori, thin sliced beef, etc..etc.

And saving some for dipping sauce. Reducing it when needed (like a final sauce for yakatori)

When you wisk it all in a blender..it'll last quite awhile in the fridge.

That would make a nice paring for the "Street Food" wining recipe posted this week.

wssmom
wssmom June 23, 2011

I would crush them with some sambucca and serve them over ice cream ....

ChefJune June 23, 2011

Ice cream or sherbet is a great idea. It's so humid, I think sherbet right now.

SKK June 24, 2011

We love dehydrated fruit when we have an abundance, and nectarines dehydrate beautifully and will last for a year or two. Take the pit out, slice them with skin on and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Turn your oven on at lowest setting and bake until they are dry but not burned. If you are lucky enough to have an Excalibur dehydrator, turn the temp to about 110 F, and it takes about 24 hours.

chairmanhu
chairmanhu June 24, 2011

these would make a great quick "preserve" or compote. just chop them up and cook very briefly on the stove with some sugar, not too much because they're already so ripe.

you can use this on toast, pancakes, ice cream...

susan g June 24, 2011

If you have a juicer, make juice. Or check out sangria recipes -- macerate them and go.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 24, 2011

I made a bellini with my going-soft peaches a few weeks ago. See http://www.food52.com/recipes...

latoscana
latoscana June 24, 2011

Cut out the bad parts and macerate in tawny port. Yum!

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson June 24, 2011

Thanks for the wide range of suggestions. I decided to make Nectarine Ice Cream from David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop. My daughter wants to add a raspberry swirl. I was thinking of making raspberry coulis and swirling that in, but a) I don't know if that's too thin and b) I'm not sure how far into the churning I should add it. I'm thinking right at the end so it doesn't get incorporated, but I'd love some more thoughts. Thanks again.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 25, 2011

I'd swirl the coulis in once the ice cream is done churning - just before you put it in the deep freezer to firm up. That way you keep the distinct flavour. And a great idea!

LucyS
LucyS June 25, 2011

Amanda's peach pie is probably my favorite dessert ever. I don't see it on this site but it's in her book "Cooking for Mr. Latte" and it's easy and amazing. And good for ripe, juicy fruit!