🔕 🔔
Loading…

My Basket ()

All questions

Making chocolate brownies, when melting semi-sweet chocolate the recipe calls for butter, could vegetable oil or canola oil be used instead?

asked by zoosavagew1 over 6 years ago

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

4 answers 2485 views
15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4
added over 6 years ago

I have definitely used oil in brownies instead of butter. Depending on how much it calls for, I would slowly drizzle oil in the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

7c2ff10b 2d8c 4c6a b7ae 074fd688e453  fb avatar
added over 6 years ago

They might end up too oily-- I usually decrease the oil amount by 20% when subbing in for butter since butter is only 80% fat. Maybe add milk or water for the remaining 20%

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

4798a9c2 4c90 45e5 a5be 81bcb1f69c5c  junechamp
ChefJune

June is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 6 years ago

When I have used oil in lieu of butter in brownies, I have also used cocoa rather than melted chocolate. This seems to solve the potential "greasy" problem. But I much prefer the brownies made with butter.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added over 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses, my question has definitely been answered!!!

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

Loading…

Reset
Password

  Enter your email below and we'll send you instructions on how to reset your password

Account Created

Welcome!

Logged In

Enjoy!

Email Sent

Please check your email for instructions
on how to reset your password

Successfully logged out

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.