What type of french bread can I buy that is crunchy on the outside and airy on the inside?

asked by Kar-in about 7 years ago

midnitechef

Italian bread usually has a crisp crust and light interior. I've seen most grocery stores and Whole Foods have samples of bread for you to taste before you buy a loaf. If all else fails, ask the baker at the bread counter for assistance.

You might be thinking of cuban bread. It looks a lot like french bread visually--I've picked it up by mistake before; crunchy on the outside and very soft on the inside.

Which is probably only way to make a really good pressed Cuban sandwich. The Publix supermarket chain carries it, if they don't have it on stock...ask them the day before and they'll make you some.

spuntino

There's a difference between "soft" and "airy" -- you would probably be served with a loaf of ciabatta if hole-y / air is what you're looking for. Good luck!

sarah k.

Crunchy/airy is exactly how I would describe a good baguette. Is that what you're thinking of? Baguettes should have large air pockets, and a light crumb, the opposite of, say, whole wheat sandwich bread, which has tiny pockets and a dense, chewy crumb. Sometimes baguettes are so crunchy on the crust that I get sores on the roof of my mouth trying to bite them. What purpose do you need the bread for?

I think you're referring to New Orleans french bread. The best french bread has a thin crust that's so crisp it shatters, and a crumb that's so light and airy, it's almost like cotton candy.

@drbabs

I second that NOLA french bread. Very good. In my previous post I mentioned Cuban bread, which might be available nation wide and a thin similar flakey crust. But Submitter should be warned Cuban bread goes stale very, very quickly. 24 hours top. After that it's bird food or used in stuffing.

healthierkitchen

Looove your description, drbabs!