🔕 🔔

I buy organic broccoli and sometimes it is infested with tiny gray or black bugs that cannot be washed off. How do we feel about this?

I buy organic because I don't want the pesticides, but that also doesn't mean I can stomach eating 2-30 bugs on every bite of broccoli. Has this happened to you? What do you do?

asked by CMTerp about 5 years ago
709cce19 92e3 4953 a02d d8e0d2c39c16  bestface

I find I have the same problem with cauliflower and tight head vegetables, e.g. cabbage and sometimes brussels sprouts.

I cut veggies like that in individual bite sized pieces and soak in water for about 30 minutes. It loosens up the bugs, and you might have to do this more than once.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Put a bit of white vinegar in the soaking liquid. This is good for all veggies and proven superior to any commercial 'veggie wash' product.

That with some ice will also help dehydrate wilted lettuce that's on the verge of going bad.

41d1bf62 06b4 4146 b461 3df1a31058a7  wine

this happened to me recently--i saw all the bugs in the blanching liquid of some broccolini. i inspected the veggies, which after the blanching were free of bugs. i ate, i lived! i think it's fine.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Yes - plunge in a deep, cold bath and shake off those bugs. I once found a live, tiny worm crawling through my broccoli - after it had been steamed!

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

You can try adding some salt along with the vinegar to the water you use to wash/soak the vegetables. Thorough inspection before buying helps, but is not always practical. I'm sure we've all eaten more extra "protein" than we thought and have survived! Wonder if bugs count if you're vegetarian...

The organic produce people at my farmer's market recommend soaking in salt water to get rid of the little bugs. It's a little weird to watch them floating to the top, but I guess that's why we buy organic right? it's kind of nice to know that bugs can survive in the fields.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

My parents would always soak the homegrown broccoli and cauliflower in salt water to kill the cabbage worms & other insects. Seemed to work well.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I'm pretty sure those are aphids, and they were the bane of my existence when I was a farmer. They are gross and they ooze this gross sticky substance and they just suck. But I ended up eating a lot of them and I'm still alive.

Just started doing research because I've recently returned broccoli twice to my local Whole Foods market due to bugs. I never really looked so closely, but my son just started to eat broccoli, so I have to cut the crowns into much smaller pieces. The first time I saw the bugs, I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me because I wasn't wearing my glasses... but then I realized that the entire under side of the head was COVERED in tiny, grey, bugs (and they were moving... yuck!). I try to buy organic for most things, but I've heard that there are conventional fruits and veggies that are ok to eat and broccoli is on that list. I like the idea of organic, but I really prefer my produce to be free of bugs.

OMG, linzarella just pointed out the sticky substance thing and I've noticed that I sometimes find it very difficult to clean my pots when I blanch my broccoli because there's a ridiculously thick film around the inside edge... it all makes perfect sense now. How long have I been eating these bugs??? GROSS!!!

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I have a big organic home garden and grow broccoli. It's true that bugs adore it. (I agree with Linzarella--sounds like aphids. Cabbage worms, green and fat, are even worse.). However, I am not inclined to eat bugs, even if the occasional gross cabbage worm does slip by. There are perfectly acceptable insecticides that organic growers can use to cut down on the bug population. A concerned grower also has the option of using row covers if infestations are a problem. Sure, the occasional bug or imperfection can be present, but I wouldn't buy again from that grower. At the very least, I'd point out the problem. If the grower is indifferent, you have your answer---buy from someone else.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I would just follow Sam1148's advice. Sure, bugs are gross I guess, but they're just trying to live too. As long as the produce looks fresh and green and not eaten half to death, I don't think there's a real problem. As consumers, we should all be aware that when we buy from small organic growers, there are going to be some minor inconveniences and bugs are one of those. From a little experience working on farms and experience in my own garden, I know that farming is an enterprise fraught with tasks and little emergencies. On a daily basis, there's so much to be done that sometimes (read: all the time) you get behind and can't make time to spray or dust with organic insecticides, and the crops can take a beating.
I also read a recent article by Harold McGee about how herbs that have been munched on by insects have a better flavor because the plant's response to stress is to send out certain chemicals (I know I'm butchering this explanation, but bear with me) that make the plants taste better to us. I don't know if this holds true for veggies, but it's an interesting thing to keep in mind.

No one who values his or her reputation as a grower should be selling produce infested with aphids, which would give way to a powerful stream of water from the garden hose. In addition, insects are often drawn to weak or stressed plants, organic or not. The healthier the plant, the less likely it is to harbor an infestation. The occasional slug or earworm or other insect is one thing, broccoli stems coated with aphids is quite another.

Cut the broccoli into individual branches and soak in a sinkful of cold water with SALT in. The bugs will die and sink to the bottom. :)

56c2251d 87e7 43a2 8b06 91ece1405fcb  2016 03 27 06 17 14

Just remember those little bugs are a good source of protein.