🔕 🔔

Habainaro peppers canning recipe

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

This is my go to for any canning and pickling questions. And here is the how to with habaneros http://www.uga.edu/nchfp...
My favorite way is to dehydrate them or freeze them.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

If you have a grill.

Char them on the grill or boiler, and remove the skins (wear powdered free gloves--trust me on that).

Then back to the grill--use some foil with wood chips to make it smoke up, Put the peppers on a wire rack and smoke them...turn off the grill (if gas) or remove..they only need about 10 mins of smoke.
When dried, store them; but better to grind them.
Use in mayo for smokey mayo with fries, fried pickles, Okra..etc.
Or use in Chili as a smokey pepper addition, or for grilled fish.

@SKK

I think you need one of these. http://www.cuisinetechnology...

I don't have one, but maybe for B-day for xmas.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

skk, I like this UC Davis publications too, and this one is great for peppers in general, not just the habaneros. The take-away messages of this one are for me that if you do want to can your peppers, instead of drying or freezing them, the easiest and safest method is to pickle them.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I fail to understand the charring & peeling. Habaneros are so thin skinned this is not needed. They are best added at the last minute to anything that cooks for a long time, or else you loose their wonderful fruity flavor...

@Sam1148 - I do want one of these. Someday!