The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

potatoes cut early?

i thought to save some dinner prep time by cutting the potatoes this morning. Now I'm wondering- will they oxidize like an apple? If yes, will they be ok to eat or will the flavor change? Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

I think if you pop them in cold water they should be okay. Otherwise they will turn color on you.

F7d27620 4375 4aba ba69 0324d68acb93  41638 15501015 7960 n

you can treat them the same way as cut apples - add a little acid (lemon juice, vinegar) to some cold water and soak the potatoes in that.

Wholefoods user icon

hi all- thing is- i didn't put them in water, just in plastic in the fridge and won't be home till 8pm or so.

Yes, you do need to cover them with cold water, though it needn't contain an acid. If you don't, they'll oxidize to a purplish-brown color. It won't affect the taste, and how do you know I know that, but the color will be definitely off-putting.

P.S. And definitely a good plan-ahead move.

Wholefoods user icon

when i returned home last night i was surprised to see the potatoes were still perfect! they were in a glass bowl with cut up califlower and covered with plastic wrap in the fridge. no water at all! the only thing i can figure is that it was something the califlower gave off or because the potatoes were fresh from the garden..
either way- next time i will use the water. thanks all!

Wholefoods user icon

Yay! I was so hoping they would be ok! It was such a great plan, that it would have been sad if the potatoes turned ugly. They are still actually edible when brown, just so unappetizing in looks.