I'm making a cake for a friend that includes a mango filling; what kind of icing/cake combination would go well with that?

sdebrango September 11, 2011

I think a yellow cake with a whipped cream or swiss meringue buttercream would be delicious.

boulangere September 11, 2011

I love the idea of whipped cream icing, too - keeps the flavors nice and light. Maybe some lime juice and zest in the cake?

epicker
epicker September 11, 2011

i make a coconut cake with a mango filling - i've made it with both a white 7 minute frosting with toasted coconut and a chocolate ganache glaze. both were delicious!

nomnivorous
nomnivorous September 11, 2011

all this talk of a whipped cream frosting sounds delightful. a simple white or yellow cake, and lime, coconut, ginger, or berries would be good with the mango, depending on the direction you want to take it.

ATG117
ATG117 September 11, 2011

I would likewise suggest yellow cake. And I agree with nomnivorous as far as the flavor combos she suggests. But I think you could just as easily make an American or meringue buttercream as opposed to the whipped cream. I particularly like the idea of raspberries and mango, but given the end of berry season, it might be best to go with one of the other flavor combos. Or if you have more than one layer, you can use the mango filling in between one and raspberry jam in between the other. I also think you can do a chocolate ganache frosting, with great results.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery September 12, 2011

Cardamom also goes well with mango. I'd do a simple yellow cake with a dash of cardamom added, frosted with coconut frosting.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen September 12, 2011

Sdebrango's got it! Plus some fresh coconut!

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon September 12, 2011

fresh ginger, lime zest, tamarind, lychee, coconut, lemongrass, szechuan peppercorn, cardamon.

hint: for the sugar in the recipe: grind in food processor with any of these ingredients, especially citrus zest, and you will be able to perfume your cake batter better.

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon September 12, 2011

I made this Tres Leches Cake with coconut for my son's birthday a couple of years ago. The recipe calls for strawberries and kiwis on top, but I used mangos. Super!
http://www.epicurious.com...