I wasn't sure what semi dried tomatoes were so I googled and came across this step by step technique, maybe this will help or someone here who has done this will respond.
http://objectdart.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/how-to-make-sweet-semi-dried-tomatoes/

Panfusine

WOW!!, thanks so much sdebrango..this is priceless.. (now to snap up that bushel of tomatoes from the farm round the corner!!)

They sound wonderful I hope you were able to snatch some tomatoes and make it.

Hi Panfusine - I saw this recipe & thought of you. I bought everything to try out today. http://www.bonappetit.com...

Panfusine

Wow, thanks.. I have a whole bushel of them in my kitchen.. (made version on a salt base earlier yesterday, have to try this today!

Michael Ruhlman
Michael Ruhlman

Michael is a food critic and established cookbook author -- Ruhlman's Twenty and Egg: A Culinary Exploration are the most recent additions to his vast body of work.

I'd halve, rob with olive oil, put them in a 200 degree oven overnight.

Michael Ruhlman
Michael Ruhlman

that would of course be RUB with olive oil...

JessicaBakes

Stop robbing those tomatoes!

Panfusine

Thanks Michael, j did exactly that!! they literally got gobbled up faster than I could make them! :-(

Here's the source I've been using, very successfully. I put them in late at night and by early morning the whole house is tomato-fragrant. You can see my comment way down on the page, and some interesting conversation about making peppers the same way, both sweet and hot.
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2006/09/roasted_tomatoe.html
Use her search for updates in successive summers.
And Panfusine, I imagine your house is fragrant all the time!