🔕 🔔

Chewy sun-dried tomatoes

I've always bought sun-dried tomatoes in oil, but about a month ago, I bought a little container of them, and they're not packed in anything. They're awfully chewy and leathery. Do I just chop them up very fine anytime I want to use them? Or can I do something to them that makes them easier to eat? Boil them? Put them in a jar with some oil? I bought them wanting to make great mayonnaise-cucumber-tomato-salt-and-pepper sandwiches, but it's weird to have to gnaw at one of the ingredients in my sandwich. I'll do it if I have to, but ... do I have to? Thanks everyone!

asked by Vandana 20 days ago

17d754b8 8a6f 4619 b268 baade3ca1f9e  img 8399

Confident that rehydrating in olive oil could help! I would add them to very warm oil—maybe with some dried herbs!—cool completely, then transfer to the fridge. Other ideas: Mince into oblivion, then put toward a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, or mayo. Turn into sun-dried tomato pesto. Mash into a pseudo tomato paste, for marinara, chilis, stews, etc.

272f8440 ad63 410c a6e5 97e4f3b9ac44  fb avatar

If I'm using the dry kind in a recipe that doesn't require cooking, I cover them in hot (not boiling) water from the kettle with a bit of salt for around 10 minutes, then pat dry and use. Some can be a bit more dry than others, so use your judgement for when they are ready.

Answers for long- and short-term enjoyment!

I don't think I want to make pesto or mayo out of them - I want to eat them as they are. But I'll definitely bottle half of them in oil and see whether they soften up. The other half will get the warm water treatment as needed. Thanks very much!