Help with candy making problem!

I've been making cashew butter crunch for years with no problems. However, the last few times I've made it the crunch won't "crunch." The recipe calls for granulated sugar, corn syrup and butter to cook to 290, at which point you stir in the cashews. I do that and then spread it on the cookie sheet but it doesn't become brittle and instead becomes sugary. Maybe my candy thermometer has given up the ghost. But, am I overcooking or undercooking for it to become sugary instead of brittle? Thanks!

asked by HinOh about 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Sounds like undercooking. You can test your thermometer by boiling water and seeing if it shows 212 degrees (F). If not, you know your problem! If your thermometer IS correct, I usually go up to 300 degrees minimum for hard crack, so you may want to try heating a little higher as well

Your sugar is crystallizing. Sounds to me like it's time for a new thermometer.

HinOh

JessicaBakes and Boulangere, thank you for taking the time to respond. I was hoping it was just the thermometer that was the problem since that's easily replaced. I just needed assurance that I haven't lost my touch with this particular recipe since it's become my signature dish!

JessicaBakes

It sounds fantastic...have you posted the recipe here? If not, please do!!

Chef Krull

If you haven't done it, brush the inside edge of your pot with a basting brush moistened with water. This helps prevent crystallizing. Crystallized sugar on the pot can cause the whole thing to crystallize.