Hard candy question: The recipe I use calls for 3 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups corn syrup. I just finished a MAJOR grocery shopping trip and really don't want to go back out, but I only have about 2/3 cup (need to make two batches of candy). My understanding is that only a bit of corn syrup is needed to prevent crystallization. Is it possible for me to make hard candy using mostly sugar, water, and flavoring, with about 2-3 tablespoons of corn syrup?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery December 8, 2010

I make hard toffee with 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and 1 tsp corn syrup with about 2 Tbls hot water. It depends quite a lot on what type of hard candy you're making.

campagnes
campagnes December 8, 2010

The only ingredients are sugar, water, corn syrup, and flavoring extract/oil. Just a basic hard candy, like a lollipop. (though now I'm in the mood for toffee.. mmmm....) :)

beyondcelery
beyondcelery December 8, 2010

Well, this recipe implies that you don't necessarily need that much corn syrup, but it sounds like you might get some crystallization if you don't use the correct amount.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-lollipops.html#

Sorry, I'm better at toffee than lollipops. =) Good luck!

hardlikearmour December 8, 2010

I found a recipe for homemade "corn syrup" that I hope helps you. It uses sugar, water, cream of tartar, and salt. http://www.food.com/recipe...

campagnes
campagnes December 8, 2010

Awesome! I was just sitting here thinking, "hm, I know cream of tartar has a similar effect in a candy recipe... wonder if I can use that somehow.." Thanks so much, hardlikearmour and syronai! (and congrats on your win this week, hardlikearmour!) :)