FIRST LOOK AT AMANDA AND MERRILL'S NEW COOKBOOK! PRE-ORDER YOUR SIGNED COPY »
🔕 🔔

Freezing corn on the cob

Has anyone tried freezing whole cobs of corn? Given the extra space the cobs would take up in the freezer, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has tried it and if it is worth it. I am also wondering how should I go about boiling it later; bring the water to a boil and drop the frozen cobs in? It seems like it will quite a bit of time for them to come to a boil otherwise.

asked by Droplet almost 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I blanch it just a min and vac pack it and freeze it. And then boil in bag later.
Yes, it's worth it, it'll probably taste better than supermarket frozen corn.
Just let it rest in the warm water a bit to thaw in the bag..then remove the bag and boil the water..and replace the bag.
When I freeze it I put in bit of butter in the bag. I usually let it all freeze before sealing the bag so you won't have butter or water interfering with the seal.

It seems like I'm pushing this product a bit too much here..so, I'll let this website do the talking.
http://seattlefoodgeek...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

@Sam, keep on pushing your products, they are all great! Never thought of freezing whole corn on the cob so thanks Droplet for the question.

Just wondering if it is necessary to blanch it? When I freeze just the corn, I simply cut it off the cob and put it in containers. No blanching and it turns out great. What do you think?

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

I actually like to stick with it raw. The way that corn sugars work, you want to freeze it as soon as humanly possible and then just cook it normally once you take it out.

@SKK
I've done both, for short term blanching doesn't make a big diffrence. For more than a few months, the enzymes in the corn convert the sugar to starch even while in the freezer. Blanching stops the enzymes and 'fixes' the sweetness of the corn.
I've only frozen cob-on-the-cob tho.
I wonder if cutting it off the cob helps retain the sweetness while frozen.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Sam, because of your endorsement, I purchased the Ziploc vacuum bag at my local mass supermarket. Haven't used it yet, but it's an affordable solution (even had a coupon downloaded from the website) if you don't own a food sealer. I eat a lot of chicken and buying in bulk would really help me out - ooh, and stew meat. Thanks.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

In the rare instances when I have extra corn on the cob, I peel back the husks, remove the silks, replace the husks and then freeze in ziploc or vacuum freeze bags. Not quite the same as one hour off the stalk in the summer, but better than canned or supermarket frozen!

I use my Food Saver and without blanching, just freeze. Works fine for me. Currently have 2 dozen ears in the freezer to enjoy thru the winter. And I know this will brand me as a heratic (sp?) , but I nuke mine for 2 minutes with great results.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Thanks for the input. I am going to freeze 5-7 ears for a midwinter boil.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I freeze a lot of corn, enough for a whole winter, but never on the cob. Certainly it can be done, but to my mind it's not close to the experience of eating fresh-picked corn on the cob, and it's a big waste of freezer space. On the other hand, fresh corn that's quickly blanched (1 min. or so) and then cut and scraped off the cob is sweet and delicious and is quickly reheated to eat plain or to add to something else. And if the corn's not perfectly fresh to begin with, preserving it is not worth the effort. I miss fresh already; the season is gone in New England.

Mainecook, the season really is very short and sometimes I find myself thinking about corn in the winter but know that I have to wait for the whole upcoming summer to pass before I can have it, and that's why I wondered the other day if I could freeze some whole. Not having enough room in the freezer for it was one of my concerns and the other is whether it won't end up being tough when I boil it after having sat in the freezer. And it is strange but as much as I like it on the cob, I hardly ever crave it off of it...I guess I will try it with several young cobs and see. I always find your inputs valuable.

Well give it a try, Droplet. Anything that makes one think of summer when it's winter is reason enough. Tonight's the night for the first hard killing frost in Maine (we've had a couple of close calls already) and everything tender is either under cover or picked. That's it for the tomatoes and corn, alas, and I'm really not ready yet for brussels sprouts.