Meatloaf > Secret to a moist, tasty meatloaf?

I mix ground round and chuck. I use fresh breadcrumbs and 2 eggs, beef broth or water and spices. Still not happy with the texture.
Thank You,
Marie N.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

cookbookchick

Try buttermilk for your liquid, instead of broth and water. Soak the breadcrumbs in it before you add them to the meat. Also, try using only one egg. And stick to chuck only -- ground round is usually less fatty and will be less moist.

cookbookchick

Also, mix lightly -- overworking the meatloaf mixture can toughen it. (I'm sure others will have good suggestions, too. I myself am still on a years-long search for the perfect meatloaf recipe -- haven't found it yet!)

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I like to cook mine wrapped in strips of bacon - especially if your ground meat isn't very fatty.

My recipe for meatloaf comes from Cooks Illustrated. I found by making a free form loaf (no loaf pan), using saltines (no fresh breadcrumbs b/c they get mushy), and baste the meatloaf with the glaze, works best for me. I like a crisp on the ouside loaf while tender inside. I used the standard meatloaf mix, so it doesn't taste like a big burger and the tangy glaze (made with ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar) basted 2x during the 1 hr cook time. Oh, and I use chicken broth.

Here's a useful and quite interesting foodpickle on just this topic:

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

;o)

My own recipe goes like this http://www.food52.com/recipes... although it comes out more like a terrine than a meatloaf, it's still a meatloaf.

Nora

Try substituting some pork sausage for some of your beef. I mix grated cheese in with mine, as well. It's decadent and really good!

Nora

Try substituting some pork sausage for some of your beef.

Steam spinach, squeeze out as much liquid as possible, chop and add to the mixture.