Using kebab meat for beef tacos?

I have a pound of beef kebab meat (cut in relatively large chunks--about 1 1/2 inches). I don't have a grill and don't trust our broiler. I'd like to cook it on the stove (or oven) and then slice the meat for tacos or fajitas. Should I cook the pieces whole and then slice or cut into smaller pieces before cooking? Slice with the grain or against? Cook on the stove or in the oven (or a combination)? For how long? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

asked by curious almost 7 years ago

Definitely cut against the grain because kebab meat is sort of like stew meat in that it tends to be trimmings from many different cuts. For the same reason, I'd cut them up before cooking, then give them just a quick turn in the pan.

wssmom

I like boulangere's idea: cut them up as small as possible and then cook them quickly in a cast iron pan or something similar. To do something completely different, you could braise them in a heavy pot and then shred them for the tacos or fajitas.

curious

Thanks so much! I used boulangere's idea: sliced thin and cooked quickly in a hot cast iron pan, with a little minced garlic and jalapeno. Added lime and salt at the end. Turned out great! But I like wssmom's idea as well. Next time! Thanks again.

Oh, sounds great. Wish I'd been next door. Wssmom's advice is lovely: A good braise would be wonderful, too.

JessicaBakes

It might be too late, but if you have a slow cooker, that could work really well. You could treat it sort of like pork shoulder and use a recipe for that.