Can Frito's be made for adults?

I'll take Frito's over potato chips or nachos anytime, but they're way salty and look a bit silly on a grown-up's plate. I thought I'd make my own baked versions with pepper and some herbs, but I'm getting nowhere. The package says "corn, oil, salt". How hard could this be?

asked by bugbitten over 6 years ago

I know this isn't an answer but very excited to follow this thread -- I like Fritos, too. Would love to know how to make them. Thanks for the good question!

bugbitten

No, no, no. Thank YOU for a great site with all these brainy and talented foodies!

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Amanda, if only the "Follow this question" feature had made it to launch... this would have been the perfect place to use it! (But really, I'm answering too because i want to see what people suggest.)

There's a few ways.
Using 1 portion masa flour 1 portion yellow corn meal, salt, oil, enough hot water to make a slightly stiff dough.
use a tortilla press to press little balls of dough flat, or put between wax paper and roll out (spay some oil on the paper first to prevent sticking) and slice into strips and fry. A dusting with some chili powder is a nice touch and some more salt.
Another way is simply using pure yellow corn meal and proceed as above.
And the final way is get some premade yellow corn torillias..cut into strips and fry and season with salt and chili power.

If you like a bit of puff to the chips...add a tsp of baking powder to the cornflower/cornmeal mix.
The liquid is just hot water and some oil. Sorry for inexact portions...you kinda have to go by feel there.
These can be fried..or baked. If baking up the oil just a bit so it 'oven fries'.

bugbitten

Sorry for the delayed reply. As I understand it, to create masa you treat corn with lime. Not lime from a lime, lime from a mine. So why wouldn't "slaked lime" appear as an ingredient? Because it's not food? Hmmm

thirschfeld

you would treat dried hominy corn with culinary lime, you can buy it at Anson Mills online. The problem is fresh corn tortillas may not hold up to frying. Really the pre made corn tortillas are probably the best way and if you make up a southwest seasoning or rub and sprinkle it over the hot out of the oil chips you will impress yourself.

Ahh...Here's a google search of a recipe/tech using premade corn tortillas. In a shallow fry pan.
http://www.macheesmo.com...

http://www.macheesmo.com...

I'm guessing thirschfeld's probably done this from scratch.

Coincidentally, i remember seeing a recipe for homemade corn chips in a cookbook recently. was it Masters of American Cookery by Fisher, Beard, Claiborne, Child? Just returned it tonight to library. Anyone have this one?

and here's a homemade fritos recipe that sounds promising, along with some fascinating fritos facts: http://www.care2.com/greenliving...

bugbitten

That's a great web page for the origins of this All-American "health food", and one of the first recipes I tried. It doesn't work. There can't be more wet ingredient than dry, or else you can't score the batter with a knife to create snap-off pieces. Also the 20 minute bake time runs nearer an hour. I had done six or seven tests with varying ratios before I put the idea down for a few months and misplaced my notes. Ugh!

bugbitten

mrslarkin, there's more interesting stuff at this NPR page: http://www.npr.org/templates...

love it! thanks bb.

That's a story we should all see -- and keep going with the other stories in the series. Thanks!

thirschfeld

I have been meaning to do this. Sprouted yellow corn tortillas taste just like fritos. I think if you cut them into wedges and deep fried them you would have "grown up" fritos. Although I am pretty sure the originals were intended for adults and not the kiddos

thirschfeld

thirschfeld

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I sometimes crave fritos, so my interest was piqued the day I discovered frito pie. It's a Texas thing- you cut open a bag of fritos and pour in a ladleful of chili, then top it with cheese and onions. Apparently it is mostly served at middle/high school sporting events. I made a vegan version of this recently to sell at the Smorgasburg market...and people loved it (even the adults).

Instead of using fritos, I used blue corn chips, and topped them with 3-bean seitan chili, a homemade, cashew-based nacho sauce, and a cilantro-onion mixture. The blue chips were just as flavorful as fritos, especially with all those yummy extras on top!

I've had those..and they are excellent. Tho not the upscale version you mention. Just the fritos and chile and toppings combo. Quite good.

There's also a similar frito salad using lettuce a Catalina dressing and a meat or seasoned black bean element that's quite good.

thirschfeld

Here in Indiana, that would be a Walking Taco, and it was created at the State Fair. Supposedly the vendor who came up with the idea made a lot of money. So now when someone invents something and thinks they are going to make lots of money we say, "Oh it's your walking taco"

bugbitten

Thanks, thirschfeld, for your many tips here, and for this glimpse into your upcoming Indiana/English English/Indiana dictionary. Will I be able to get it for Kindle?