Our NYC Holiday Market opens today at noon! Come and see us »
🔕 🔔

New cookware - suggestions!

I have some (pretty amazing) Revere Cookware that is 25 years old. And, I have some great cast iron essential, with some old and tired cookware. I'm looking to upgrade after 25 years - as an anniversary gift. Suggestions? Musts? I've got one copper jam pot on order and a wok - that's it for my new stuff.

asked by LLStone about 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

This was an old foodpickle question. Hope this helps you:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I mostly use my cast iron skillets and a few heavy sauce pans and pots, most of which I've had for 30 - 45 years, and leave some "pretties" sitting in the cupboard. Maybe you have already answered the question -- what other specialty cookware appeals to you? For instance, how about a tagine? bamboo steamer? Maybe you want to visit an Indian or Asian market for cookware that is not commonly found in the US, but basic to their kitchens? It could be an adventure as well as give you useful tools to display in your kitchen.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

LOL I do not have Revere but I do have some Farberware that is going on 35 years!! Between that and the cast iron skillet, the one thing (actually two things) I would not part with are my Le Creuset 5.5 quart round French oven and my Presto 16-qt. pressure cooker/canner. Have fun shopping!!!

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

Thanks wssmom! Yeah, I can't part w/ the Revere ware yet. A pressure cooker, huh? My mom cooked the bomb pork chops in those when I was growing up, but do I need one w/ only my husband and I ( I just sent my youngest off to college).

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Only 25 years old? The Revereware I own was also my mom's, but she got it circa 1949. It has slowly bitten the dust, and now I have a drawer of lids that fit fewer and fewer pots.

The BEST advice is the first thing that Amanda said in the thread that drbabs cited--don't get a set. Some of my remaining Revere pieces work great for steaming and boiling. For sautes, I prefer something heavier and especially love my Demeyere skillet. It's really heavy, distributes heat incredibly evenly, and would work well with an induction burner. For soups and stews, I've fallen in love with my Emile Henry flameware. It wouldn't work at all if I only had induction, but from flame to oven to table, it's my favorite.

I'll second the pressure cooker. 16 quart is huge, so if you don't need it for canning, look at moderate size ones. If you're considering it, look in your library for cookbooks for pressure cooking, especially books by Lorna Sass. That will give you an idea of how useful and versatile they can be. They save time, save fuel, and a good one just lasts and lasts. Stories of explosions are totally out of date with the safe new pots. It's are recent acquisition for me, and I'm very pleased!

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I would definately recommend a bamboo steamer - they are so versatile and can be used in all kinds of neat ways. I steam fish, chicken, veggies all the time. And you can flavor the broth you use to steam which adds a great layer of flavor without a ton of fat (not that I worry about that mind you). If you really want to go nuts you can get a multiple layer one! And with that I would add a rice maker. Not that I am opposed to cooking rice the old fashioned way, but it is so great to have one less pot to worry about on the stove.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I use the slow-cooker (All Clad Deluxe) constantly during the fall/winter months. I'm a fan of All Clad's stainless steel saute pan, sauce pots and non stick skillets (NOT the french skillet). Le crueset (dutch oven and grill pan) and Lodge (cast iron skillet) are my tried and true workhorses.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it - I will NOT buy a set, I promise, but will fill out as necessary w/ the suggestions above. And, I have re-thought the pressure cooker; I love to can and would probably love it! Thanks again, all. --Lori