I am making a slow roasted pork roast with apples and onions. The recipe does not specify a variety of apple. What would you use? Thanks!

asked by bella s.f. over 7 years ago

anyone

Well this isn't very specific but what you are making is one of my fall favorites and I don't use any red variety apples only green. What type of green apple? Not sure I always use whats available thats green.

askann

I like Granny Smith for cooking. They seem to hold their shape rather than disintegrating into mush

Mr_Vittles

Granny Smith are the classical choice, but personally I like Jonah Gold or Pink Lady's. Yum!

In this case just about any green apple will work, given that you are cooking it. I happen to like pink lady but it's pretty hard to go wrong.

bella s.f.

Thanks everyone!
Mr_Vittles and pierino, I love Pink Lady apples. They're not green as suggested, but they are amazing. Great in a salad with bacon, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, and Stilton, or bleu of choice. I think that I might use them with the pork. Knowing me, I will throw in Granny Smith also, just to see what happens.

campagnes

Sounds delicious, Bella. I'm a huge fan of Northern Spies, both for cooking and eating out of hand. Great texture, and they hold up well when cooked.

Bevi

I would use any crisp apple with the exception of Red or Golden Delicious. Macs and Empires get mushy.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Just made Julia Child's Roast Pork with Red Cabbage, Apples, and Chestnuts (easy and good, btw). Used Cortlands, Jonamacs, and Golden Delicious/Golden Ginger since that's what I had from the farmer's market. Unbelievably good. Just avoid red delicious and Rome, they get mooshy.

cookbookchick

I agree with campagnes on Northern Spies -- my favorites fresh or cooked -- but they can be hard to come by even here in the Northeast where they are grown. Cortlands are great for cooking, too. Delicious apples aren't much good for anything, imho.

Hilarybee

I agree with @campagnes and @cookbookchick. Northern Spies are my apple of choice. Sounds like a simple and delicious dish, bella.

I think I've recommended Northern Spies on every Foodpickle question asking about apples...somebody please use those Northern Spies! They really are good.

casa-giardino

I like granny smith apples with pork

fry it

Northern Spies.... The best apple ever.