Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I need a message board for my kitchen. But don't want it to look like a college dorm room.

What are my options? I want something with the ease of a dry erase board, but more attractive and grown-up. I prefer D.I.Y. ideas over expensive store-bought stuff. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! I have a big dry erase board that I use when prepping for a large menu. This will just be something small my hubby and I can scrawl notes on re: food shopping, dinner plans, kitchen chores, etc!

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

asked about 5 years ago
39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

We use a magnetic chalk board in our kitchen. There's also chalk board paint, so you can decide exactly how big or small you want your message board.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Not a message board. But the magnetic cover on the iPad is pretty strong. It sticks to the fridge with the ipad hanging down. Not, something I'd use long term on the door with it opening and closing. But it actually works.(try at your own risk tho).
I put it on the side of my 'fridge tho to refer too when cooking web recipes. There should be a commercial product for this--there is one for the UK but I can't find a US source.

Dd6fca88 9440 4465 99bf 673e467e09e4  fridgepad

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

I think an ipad is out of my budget. I was thinking more along the lines of aluminum sheeting and an old picture frame LOL. I'm not sure if we can make the commitment to chalkboard paint since we're renting. Any other ideas?

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

The erasable white board is the best. What makes it look like a college dorm room may be the people leaving the messages rather than the medium.

Chalkboards are good.

Kristy Mucci

Some of the options here are super afordable and look good (and some definitely look like they belong in a college dorm room, sorry!)

http://www.crateandbarrel...

A paper pad. Tried and true..and practical.
You want a list for shopping..tear off the sheet and go shopping.
You want a message post the message---tear it off and fix it with magnet.
White boards and such to me are temporary message to others in the home...kinda passive aggressive saying "I"M PUTTING THIS MESSAGE ON THE DRY ERASE THING TO REMIND YOU OF SOMETHING I THINK YOU NEED TO NEED TO KNOW..LIKE TAKE OUT OUT THE TRASH, OH AND PICK UP SOME MILK THKS!!".

A simple note pad..for lists for family requests for foods and shopping is the way to go IMHO.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

You could go to staples and buy the ideal type of dry erase or chalkboard (make sure you have the message board size) and find a picture frame from a garage sale or inexpensive store.; maybe paint the frame something that matches your personality and kitchen decor. Or glue corks from wine bottles around it.

608c6d9b a8a2 493c 84b1 0b0bd8574ef7  sks craigie

I have a bamboo dry erase board from three by three. It's beautiful even though I bought it from their scratch and dent section (no idea why it was there because it looks great to me!) Not DIY obviously but it worked a lot better than my DIY attempts (which I spent $$$ on).
threebythree.com
http://shop.threebythree...