Is peanut butter a condiment

asked by Kitchen Butterfly over 8 years ago

Sagegreen

This is hardly an official answer, just my opinion! But I think it could be used as such. I pondered whether my mustard butter was a condiment as well...deciding it was, especially when adding other ingredients to it.

arielleclementine

I'd have to agree with Sagegreen on this one- the definition of 'condiment' in the Food Lover's Companion is as follows:

"A savory, piquant, spicy or salty accompaniment to food, such as a relish, sauce, mixture of spices and so on. Ketchup and mustard are two of the most popular condiments."

Plus, I'd love to see your recipe(s) for peanut butter!

thirschfeld

I once had a Goober Burger, goober being a name for a peanut, at a diner and peanut butter in that case was indeed a condiment. It was spread on the bun like mayonnaise. Surprisingly good to I must add.

Kitchen Butterfly

Thanks