Cleaning Wooden Dishes

At Food52 you use a lot of wooden dishes - how do you clean them and keep them looking good?

asked by SallyM almost 7 years ago

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

We hand wash all the wooden dishes and utensils.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

I don't know about any other special techniques to keep them nice, but they certainly are pretty!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Keep them oiled regularly. Olive oil for olive tree wood, walnut oil for walnut, etc.

Just put a dash of oil on a rag and rub it into your dish evenly.

I feel like the wooden ware is a little like cast iron cookware -- over time it develops a patina from all the good things that have seen it in use. While I do hand wash them, I don't want to let them soak or use harsh cleaners or scrubbers. Think of how we treat wooden furniture. Oils are appreciated, and so is humidity; dryness is your enemy! (I have seen Japanese wooden items displayed in a case with a glass of water. Kitchen items shouldn't be so sensitive, but consider their needs.) And remember for wooden handles on knives -- no soaking, no dishwasher.