Author Notes: This sweet Italian squash tart has complex deep flavors, a buttery, flaky crust that's filled with honey bathed squash, surrounded by a custard like blanket and sprinkled with sliced almonds. —bellalimento
butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
cup heavy whipping cream
refrigerated pie crust
cup sliced almonds
powdered sugar - to dust
- Place honey into a deep sided sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add cubed squash and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 395 degrees. WHILE squash is cooking, into a bowl whisk together: eggs, corn starch, sugar and heavy whipping cream.
- When squash has finished cooking, pour cream mixture over squash.
- Spray a 10? tart pan with cooking spray. Carefully mold pie crust into tart pan. Pour squash mixture into pie crust. Using a spoon, be sure squash is evenly distributed. Sprinkle almonds on top and dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until mixture sets up. Allow to cool prior to slicing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)