If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
pound thick-sliced bacon, diced
tablespoons reserved bacon fat
tablespoons unsalted butter
cup heavy cream
cup Gruyere cheese, grated
Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Line tart pan with puff pastry sheet, top with foil and pie weights, and prebake according to package directions. Let cool on a wire rack and set aside. Preheat oven to 425.
- Trim leeks down to light green part. Slice in half lengthwise and then slice very thinly. Add to a colander set over cold water in a bowl and swish to remove sand. Lift leeks out and drain; repeat twice, using fresh water. Thinly slice onions.
- Add bacon to a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until crisp, set aside to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add butter and sautée leeks and onions, cooking until lightly browned. Use some salt to cook the vegetables down, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Make custard by mixing eggs and cream. Fill baked tart shell with bacon pieces, leek mixture and season with salt & pepper. Pour in custard and top with cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 40 minutes. Can be frozen before baking.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)