Author Notes: This recipe is combined with a crust coming from a old family generation and converted to a healthier version. My family does not eat raw tomatoes, but love eating them roasted. Also a great way to introduce a fun,versatile and delicious new alternative to raw vegetables.The personal love for baking and cooking with fresh, organic and local ingredients helps me serve healthy meals everyday. —chocolatepistachiocheesecake
Garnish ( Candied Bacon and Fried Sage)
- 7 slices of Bacon
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh Sage
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl, set aside. From filling recipe below please roast head garlic and 3 sliced tomatoes and seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper at 375 on a parchment lined baking pan. Rotate until garlic is golden brown and tomatoes are roasted until desired look.
- In medium frying pan add olive oil on high heat quickly fry clean and dry sage. Only takes 15-20 sec. will be dark green. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan drain extra oil and add bacon. Start frying on med-high heat. Lightly brush sugar and cinnamon and flip bacon. Turn heat to med-low and finish cooking bacon brushing each side. Remove and drain on paper towel. Set aside
Crust and Filling
- 3 cups Spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Pure cane organic raw sugar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 6 tablespoons Organic Fat Free Milk
- 9 Organic Egg whites
- 1/2 cup Organic Fat Free Milk
- 2-3 Cloves of roasted garlic(Press)
- 2-3 Oven roasted Organic Tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- This is your Pie Crust: in a large bowl sift flour, salt and sugar. Add Olive Oil and slowly add Milk (you might not need it all). Mix until it combines together, then kneed. Work in 1 cup of chopped fried sage (leave some sage for garnish). Press into a greased baking pan.(9 inch. Round spring pan) Blind Bake @ 350 for 8-10 min. Remove and cool.
- This is your Filling (while your crust cools): In a large bowl add egg whites, milk, press 2-3 cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk this mixture pour into baked pie shell and layer oven-dried tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano. Adding toppings should be done to your desire. Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Start on the top rack for the first 6 min. Lower to bottom rack and finish until egg sets. Remove and cool for 5 min. cut into pie slices and garnish with fried sage and candied bacon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)